Things to See & Do in and around Pitlochry
Pitlochry has something for everyone. Whether you are a family, a couple, or a group, you will never be short of things to see and do here. After a long day exploring the sights you will come home to a luxurious cottage surrounded by stunning Perthshire countryside.
- The salmon fishing season is from 1st February – 31st October.
- The brown trout season is from 15th March – 6th October.
There is river fishing on the River Tay, River Tummel and River Garry. There is also boat and bank fishing on local lochs.
The summer season (from May to October) at Pitlochry Festival Theatre has a wide variety of productions including musicals, plays and operas. It also stages many different types of concerts, from Jazz and Folk to Ceilidh. During the winter months there are also plenty of things to see, with concerts at the weekends, workshops, talks and tours taking place throughout the year. It also hosts the Winter Words Festival every year in January.
Pitlochry – takes place on the 2nd Saturday of September.
Atholl – Gathering and Highland Games takes place on the 27th May, 2012.
Pitlochry Golf Club (Golf week 9th – 15th June). The 18 hole par 69 course is situated at the foot of Ben-y-Vrackie Mountain.
Blair Atholl (September 2012 is the Blair Atholl Golf Challenge). Blair Atholl is a classic James Braid designed course.
Pitlochry is the perfect place for walkers to explore, with 41 miles of walking tracks, paths along rivers, lochs, through woodland and uphill.
- Cycling, mountain biking and quad biking
- White water rafting (River Tay & River Tummel)
- Off road driving
- Horse trekking
- Deer stalking
- Quad biking
- Bungee – The ‘Highland Fling’ 40m bridge bungee
- Killiecrankie Visitor Centre - famous Soldier's Leap
- Distilleries including Blair Atholl & Edradour
- Salmon Ladder & Pitlochry Dam Visitor Centre - April to late September best Salmon leaping viewing time
- Blair Castle, gardens and grounds (Duke of Atholl is the only person in the UK able to raise a private army)
- Enchanted Forest sound and light show (Award Winning Event at the Scottish Event Awards) - dates yet to be announced for 2012 (ticket sales start June 2012)
- Explorers Garden
- Shopping - The House of Bruar – “Harrods of the North”